Friday, April 30, 2010

Church of Divine Mercy Shah Alam

Before I even dropped by this particular church, I was regaled with tales of the difficulties that the parishioners and the prime movers of this church had to undergo to have built this testimony of their unshakeable faith.

Curious as to what had transpired, I googled the church and found out via it's website (www.divinemercyshahalam.com) that the issue with regards to the setting up of this church dated back as far as 1977 when the then Archibishop of KL, the late Tan Sri Dominic Vendragon applied for a piece of land to construct a church in Shah Alam.

It took the state government an astonishing 14 years and 9 months to eventually allocate as piece of land at Section 24 Shah Alam via a State subsidiary corporation. This led to the start of construction in mid 1993 which was stopped by the town council a couple of months later. Exactly two years after construction started, work recommenced in June 1995 after submission of a fresh set of building plans.

Apparently, the State Executive Councillors (effectively state level ministerial cabinet) deemed that the site was unsuitable for a place of worship and as such the town council stopped all construction work, again, 9 months after it restarted in February 1996.

The state government then offered a new site for the construction of the new church opposite the Monforts Boys Town three years later, i.e. February 1999. It does make you wonder how would the incumbent government then feel should their salaries and allowances be held back for 3 years before being paid?

So as not to be viewed as a political activist or using this platform for politicking, I'll refrain from commenting on executive decisions over this matter, from this point forth anyway... March 2000 saw the town council approving plans for the new church only to have it withdrawn in December the same year and approving an alternate lot at an area where there was no infrastructure in place. This was of course rejected by the church.

The church decided to take the matter to the courts as they filed for a Judicial Review on the state government's decision in February 2001. This may or may not have been crucial in the state government offering another piece of land in Jalan Pemaju U1/15, Shah Alam. This offer was accepted by the church.

Construction started on December 8th 2003 and was completed almost a year later in November 2004. The Certificate of Fitness (CF) was issued for the church on July 3rd 2005 which led to the first ever Mass celebrated there on Friday, July 15th 2005.

The church was finally blessed in a Grand Opening, Mass and Blessing ceremony on September 10th 2005, presided by the Archbishop of KL, Datuk Murphy Pakiam.

Phew... Quite a struggle which the parishioners had to go through just to have a place to call their own. It does make me think back as to how lucky it was that back in my hometown, we were shown a lot of understanding and goodwill by the state government.

Anyway, going back to the church. My friend drove me down there as he was confident that I wasn't able to find the place even if I tried... I guess he knew what a good driver I am but unfortunately a lousy navigator.

We got to the church a little bit worried as an acquaintance t0ld us that the Saturday sunset mass could be in Tamil. Horrors of horrors should we have made the drive and not being able to understand the Mass.


While my designated driver went off in search of a parking space, I walked up and saw smiling faces everywhere. I have to admit that I was a bit awestruck with the church. I mean I have never seen a church as such. I was made to understand that the Cross was prohibited from being displayed by the local council. Anyone knows if there's any truth in that? Please let me know.

As I walked up the entrance, I was greeted a extremely friendly and welcome church warden/usher. She asked if it was my first ever visit and I said yes. I probably had that deer caught in the light look... :p

She offered to lead me to the pews but I told her that I was waiting for another couple of friends who were searching for a place to park. She gamely offered to reserve four seats for us, which I politely declined. She then asked me where I was from and we had a nice chat.

It struck me how nice people were in the church. I can see joyful looks in faces everywhere I turned. As I waited for the designated driver, I wondered off to the washroom. As I was looking for it, I was struck by the beautiful grotto (is that what it should be called or should it be shrine) just beside the church. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera at that time to take any photos of it.

When we were reunited and ready for Mass, we made our way up to the upper floor where we had a grand view of the whole church. I was extremely impressed with the beautiful view that I was witnessing. And the choir was superb despite the fact that I knew none of the hymns sung that weekend.

I was told by a friend then that this being my first visit to a church, I should make 3 wishes... Don't know if that's superstitious or otherwise, but in prayer I make wishes via my petitions anyway, so I made 3 wishes which incidentally was granted by the following weekend... Spooky or God's mighty power and mercy?

Overall, I loved the church's atmosphere where you are made to feel very welcome. You can feel the enthusiasm of the congregation throughout the Mass. Being such a bad navigator, I haven't had the chance to go back there recently. If I can convince someone to come along to show me the way, I would definitely return for Mass more frequently...

Based on www.archway.org.my. Mass times for weekends are as follows;

Saturday : 06:00pm (Eng)
Sunday : 08:00am (Eng)
: 11:15am (Eng)
1st Sunday : 09:45am (BM)
3rd Sunday : 09:45am (Man)
: 05:30pm (Tam)
2nd & 4th Sunday : 05:30pm (Eng)



1 comment:

  1. hope you had a good time @ CDM. :)
    do give us a like on our fb page

    https://www.facebook.com/cdmshahalam

    :P

    ReplyDelete